Bobby's Blog...<br>        " Process Poetic " <$BlogRSDUrl$>

                                                                   Font:  LG  |  sm


Tuesday, July 13, 2004



"Poetry is not a turning loose of emotion, but an escape from emotion; it is not the expression of personality but an escape from personality. But, of course, only those who have personality and emotion know what it means to want to escape from these things."
--T.S. Eliot... a link !!


At first the quote was attributed to Emily Dickinson, with but a small imperfection... the word 'we' for 'who' in the source I initially quoted from. With a bit more digging I may have been in error (along with my source). However... I'll continue with Emily Dickinson... a link !!!:


"Nature, like us is sometimes caught without her diadem."

"Because I could not stop for death, He kindly stopped for me; The carriage held but just ourselves and immortality."

"Of Consciousness, her awful Mate. The Soul cannot be rid - as easy the secreting her behind the Eyes of God."

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain."

"The abdication of belief makes the behavior small - better an ignis fatuus than no illume at all."

"I argue thee that love is life. And life hath immortality."



What wordcraft Emily wove !!! I will drop by and peruse, again, her works.

Speaking of wordcraft... I've been reading T.E. Lawrence's "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom" off and on, aside from all my other reading. His rich use of words in the descriptive narrative puts one right in the thick of World War I ("The war to end all wars") in the Arabian theatre (sic) against the Turk. Colors and smells... all five senses are represented, often most base, in telling the tale. The movie, (I apologize for the pop-ups on this page) "Lawrence of Arabia", is in it's own right a grand piece based on this great work. It's easy to see the actor, Peter O'Toole, as Lawrence... both appear to me as quite enigmatic. The Arab is portrayed not unlike the 'ignis fatuus' in many references, often misled in turn by the British and French, with but Lawrence alone, seemingly, in 'illume'.

Tacos for dinner... al fresco... while dodging yellow jacket wasps.

My entries... " Poetry in Motion " daily contest:

SapphireSet Sun


Coronal crowned flight

Eagle soaring... regal, midst

Heaven's diadem


:Bobby Nichols
7-12-2004


"SapphireSet Sun "" a Haiku: "... The photo for inspiration was jammed with imagery. The sun in the middle of an azure sky shining as a sapphire's star within a coronal boundary... seemingly upheld by wisps of cirrus clouds. An eagle, most likely, soaring in the Heavens midst all the sky's pageantry. I found it rather difficult to render the 5-7-5 syllabibble sequence necessary for this form of Haiku... too much imagery... too constrained a form. Overall I'm pleased with the result... my poem embracing the antithesis of Emily Dickinson's quote on "nature's... diadem". I could have just as easily replaced 'flight' with 'light' in the line: "Coronal crowned flight"... perhaps not a bad edit to make in the future... time will tell.

Lehit !!!






C'ya.  
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?